Saturday, March 22, 2014

Happiness is A Choice

Sorry it’s been so long since I’ve written! Even writing a letter can feel impossible at times.

A lot has happened! Let’s see…

We had a great Zone Training Meeting recently. I learned that inner conversion is what success as a missionary is! The sooner we realize that we are nothing and truly give our will to the Father, the sooner we will be successful. I also learned a little more about faith and drew this conclusion: we must not only have faith, but ACT on it. If you pray for rain, dress for it. 

#rainyincleveland

 “Cynics do not contribute, skeptics do not create, doubters do not achieve.” –President Gordon B. Hinckley

We must stop seeking out the storms and more fully enjoy the sunlight. Look for the good and build on it. If you aren’t happy right now, you won’t be. Sometimes I think, “I’ll be happy when…” or “I’ll be happy if…” But if I don’t make the choice to be happy right now, there is no way I will magically be happy later. Of course there is always an exception to every rule, but I believe happiness is a choice, not always an easy one, but a choice none the less.



Also recently, we had our Kirtland Training Meeting in the Kirtland Temple. That was obviously super cool. I hope I never take the experiences we are privileged here to have for granted. I can just feel the early saints and my ancestors smiling down (: I will never get sick of testifying about the sacredness of Kirtland and THE OHIO!

Sadly, our sweet investigator E dropped us. He talked to his Lutheran minister about whether or not he should continue to meet with us and obviously he encouraged E to stop meeting with us. What did you think he was going to say, E?
 -___-  It’s just so sad because E loved meeting with us. We still call him and share scriptures though.

A less-active and part member family we are working with came to church for a few weeks in a row! The mom shared her testimony in sacrament meeting and the non-member husband came the following week. We were so happy for them and we love to see people grasping the blessings that are just waiting for them. Her mother just passed so she is really motivated to become temple worthy.

We met with our almost investigator S. She is still having such a hard time with all of her cancers and other various medical problems. My heart goes out to her so much; I just wish she could find it in herself to quit smoking. She is literally killing herself. After one of her treatments she had a bunch of ointment caked on her little bald head and she insisted that we touch her head because it was so hot. We were like, umm... no it’s okay... we believe you! 

We touched it anyway… Kind of reminded me of when I forced you to feel how dry my tongue was after I got my wisdom teeth out Mom haha…

Don't worry-it's just apple juice. For reals!
Cheers to 24 lessons!
Another less-active we’ve been meeting with is so funny. Anyway, we show up one day and he opens the door with an obvious cup of beer and he says, “Oh, don’t worry it’s apple juice.” I was like mhm riiight…
It’s amazing how people are so ashamed when they break the Word of Wisdom, especially less-actives. I think it’s because they know what they should and shouldn’t be doing. The funny thing is that we’re not there to chastise or shame them. I mean its two nineteen year old girls for Heaven’s sake. We just want to help them to feel the Spirit and to invite them to come closer to Christ. I know that Heavenly Father loves us no matter what unique challenge we have. Everyone has their favorite sin, but through the Atonement of Jesus Christ we can overcome temptation and come off conquerors (: D&C 10:5

The Kirtland ward is so on board with missionary work. It is full of converts and everyone wants to help the missionaries reach their goals. Our mission president has asked us to teach a minimum of 20 lessons a week with at least 4 hours of service. We had an entire ward council on chapter 13 of Preach My Gospel and I was able to give a talk in sacrament meeting on our goals as missionaries. Surprisingly enough, the Stake President just happened to pop into our ward that day and spoke for a couple minutes after the meeting. He echoed everything I said with a lot more boldness and authority. I think the members began to realize what a key, key role they play in this work. We are absolutely nothing without the help of members. 

President Haymond said, “Brothers and Sisters, you have four of Heavenly Father’s CHOICEST daughters serving you in this ward. They are Sister Mohler, Sister Nance, Sister Mertlich, and Sister Smith. They are here to serve you and this area. It is YOUR responsibility to make their mission great.” The Spirit was so strong as he spoke. He went on to say that members should always be willing to go out with the missionaries and invite us into their homes. He said that it was not only for our benefit, but most of all it would be to their benefit. I felt so loved and so important! I know that this IS the Lord’s work and that as we work together we can succeed in the work of salvation.

This stinks!
When I went in for my biopsies Sister Nance was darling. She always takes great care of me. She was super
uncomfortable being all alone while I was back with the doctors. It turned out that she parked the car on the wrong side of the surgery center and didn’t find out until after the procedure…So I was coming out of anesthesia and she had to go drive the car around BY HERSELF! She almost had a panic attack hahaha. You can’t even back out of a parking space without your companion behind you, let alone
drive! She didn’t have a choice though and everyone came out alive. Good to know she missed me ;)

TOTALLY comfortable with this...
That week was certainly a crazy one. We were only able to proselyte a total of about 2 and a half days or so because I was so sick. Miraculously, Heavenly Father came through for us like he always does and we were able to teach 24 lessons! The most lessons I’ve taught in one week on my mission…in two days. Not to mention that on one of those days our car completely ran out of gas and we had to borrow one from another set of sisters. Drama! (We called Jesus this time)  I learned that when we devote all our time and attention to the Lord he can use us in ways we never imagined. He showed me that He CAN make up the difference. 
(More on all of this later…)

Fish sticks, anyone?
Something fun that we did last preparation day: I got a haircut, yay! (Not by Sister Clark this time haha) I’m so sick of these stupid bangs though. Such a rash decision that I regret. I just needed some change! Oh well, what’s a mission without at least one bad haircut?

The Elders in the Euclid ward just had their investigator M’s baptism! And guess what, Justice referred M to the missionaries! So exciting (: M asked me to come speak at his baptism and it was great to be back in the Euclid building for a little bit.

Sister Nance and I are staying together another transfer—WOO!

Even MORE exciting news, in May Elder Hallstrom from the presidency of the Seventy and Elder Holland are coming to speak to our mission!!!! We are SO spoiled! I feel so lucky! We were just edified and instructed by Elder Ballard in Kirtland and now THIS! Man it’s great to be a missionary (: 

#hollaforHolland

Xoxoxo
Sister Mohler

1 comment :

  1. Funniest pic from the mission yet! Love you and the reptile and...your clenched fist!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis